Senior Study Director
Dr. Jennifer Huang is an experimental psychologist and Senior Study Director with more than 20 years of experience designing and managing health research and process evaluations. She serves as the technical lead for evaluations of a variety of networks and consortia, including those designed to increase research and training infrastructure, translation and dissemination of biomedical research, and capacity to conduct patient-centered and community-engaged research. For these evaluations, she has developed qualitative and mixed methods research designs, conducted data collection and analysis, and produced reports. Her research interests include understanding how best to utilize community engagement strategies to advance health equity.
Before working at Westat, Dr. Huang worked for the Center for Evaluation and Research with Children and Adolescents/Massachusetts Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Children where, as an evaluation consultant, Dr. Huang evaluated a United Way–funded initiative in four middle schools to highlight its effect on academic and social/emotional outcomes of students and family as well as community involvement. In addition, she was co-evaluator on a project, funded by the American Academy of Pediatrics, which involved collecting health care information to study how language and culture affect the health of children in Mount Hope, Rhode Island.
Selected Publications and Presentations
- Muehlschlegel, S., Perman, S.M., Elmer, J., Haggins, A., Teixeira Bailey, N.D., Huang, J., Jansky, L., Kirchner, J., Kasperek-Wynn, R., Lipman, P.D., Yeatts, S.D., Fetters, M.D., Dickert, N.W., and Silbergleit, R. (2022). The experiences and needs of families of comatose patients after cardiac arrest and severe neurotrauma: The perspectives of national key stakeholders during a National Institutes of Health-funded workshop. Crit Care Explor, 4(3), e0648. doi: 10.1097/CCE.0000000000000648 PMID: 35265851 PMCID: PMC8901216
- Edwards, H. A., Huang, J., Jansky, L., and Mullins, C.D. (2021). What works when: Mapping patient and stakeholder engagement methods along the ten-step continuum framework. Journal of Comparative Effectiveness Research, 10(12). doi: https://doi.org/10.2217/cer-2021-0043
- Huang, J.C., Darby Lipman, P., and Mullins, C. D. (2017). Bridging the divide: Building infrastructure to support community-academic partnerships and improve capacity to conduct patient-centered outcomes research. Translational Behavioral Medicine. [Advance online publication: April 3, 2017] doi: 10.1007/s13142-017-0487-z PMID: 28374212
- Sofolahan-Oladeinde, Y., Newhouse, R.P., Lavallee, D.C., Huang, J.C., and Mullins, D.C. (2017). Early assessment of the 10-step patient engagement framework for patient-centred outcomes research studies: The first three steps. Family Practice, 34(3), 272-277. doi: 10.1093/fampra/cmx013 PMID: 28334775
- Belzer, M.E., Kolmodin MacDonell, K., Clark, L.F., Huang, J., Olson, J., Kahana, S.Y., Naar, S., Sarr, M., and Thornton, S. (2015). Acceptability and feasibility of a cell phone support intervention for youth living with HIV with nonadherence to antiretroviral therapy. AIDS Patient Care and STDs, 29(6), 338-345. doi: 10.1089/apc.2014.0282 PMID: 25928772 PMCID: 4516960
- Lipman, P.D., Huang, J.C., Jansky, L.J., Teixeira, N., Lipman, P.D., Huang, J.C., Jansky, L.J., and Teixeira, N. (2020). Understanding Paramedic, Trial Network, and Patient’s Family Experiences in Emergency Research Clinical Trials (for the Strategies to Innovate EmeRgENcy Care Clinical Trials Network (SIREN) Network) (for NIH). Rockville, MD: Westat.
- Huang, J.C., Jansky, L. J., Abdelwadoud, M., Villalonga Olives, E., and Mullins, C.D. (2019). Improving FDA Health Communications with Older Women Regarding FDA-Regulated Products (for FDA). Baltimore, MD: University of Maryland, Baltimore.
- Huang, J.C., Jansky, L.J., Lipman, P.D., Dickert, N., Kasperek-Wynn, R., Haggins, A., Fetters, M.D., Silbergleit, R., and Yeatts, S.D. (January, 2020). Understanding paramedics’ experiences, training, and involvement in prehospital clinical trials: A qualitative study (poster presenter). National Association of EMS Physicians Annual Meeting, San Diego, CA.
- Edwards, H., Huang, J., and Jansky, E. (2018, December). What works when: Methods for authentic and continuous stakeholder engagement in research (panel presentation presenter). 11th Annual Conference on the Science of Dissemination and Implementation in Health, Washington, DC.
- Huang, J.C., Lipman, P.D., and Mullins, C.D. (2016, December). Fostering dissemination and uptake of PCOR methods across community-academic settings to reduce health disparities: The PATIENTS program (poster). Ninth Annual Conference on the Science of Dissemination and Implementation in Health, Washington, DC.
PhD, Experimental Psychology, University of Rhode Island
MA, Experimental Psychology, University of Rhode Island
BA, Psychology, North Carolina State University